Thursday 19 February 2015

Drawing fairies

A time where I wanted to combine my life drawing with nature studies.


A number of years ago I became aware of the work of Alan Lee and Brian Froud through a book called Fairies. It is a book I still have a read through from time to time but I will always remember coming across it for the first time and my reaction to it. I immediately fell in love with the drawings of Lee who of course went on to illustrate the Tolkien Lord of the Rings books and act as concept artist for Peter Jackson's related movies.

If you haven't already seen the work of Alan Lee in other projects you should have a look at his watercolour illustrations for the Mabinogion.

Needless to say, when I came across this work I ran out of the house, pencil and sketchbook in hand, drawing all the nature I could possibly surround myself with.I then combined these studies with fairy drawings of my own. I will post more of these works in the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment