Sunday 22 February 2015

Oscar Wilde influences a Christmas card.

Making a little Christmas card using "The Selfish Giant" as the image.


One deep dark November I had a couple of free days after finishing the work for one of my books. So I thought it best to put my efforts into making a Christmas card to be sent out to friends and family. "The Selfish Giant," was an obvious choice for me so I forged ahead with no reference material and no thought to the medium I was going to use.

In hindsight, I feel it would have been better to use a model for the figures at least, and a more absorbent watercolour paper as the illustration board used for this image was not that responsive to the paints I was using. I forged on regardless of these fundamental flaws in the process. Needless to say, this led to a project which should have only taken a day or two being prolonged to over a whole week!
I ended up spending more time trying to draw the figure exclusively from my head and pouring over the painting techniques which if applied using the correct materials would not have caused me a second thought.
Sometimes a little "slow"patience at the beginning leads ultimately to a quicker outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment