Wednesday 31 July 2013

Making a Book App with whistles and bells


Andrew Whitson making Book Apps




Over the past couple of years I have been working on two book apps for the iPad.This hasn't been an easy process as I have had to re-think my working practices in order to try and cover all the bases.
What I am trying to say is that I can no longer think of artwork in terms of "flat" pictures. I must now think of what the finished image may look like in terms of its composition etc and then de-construct that image  rendering  its "ASSETS" separately so that when these are placed within the relevant format then all these " ASSETS"  become fluid and moveable.

This re-thinking has its pros and cons but also brings in the need for the use of Photoshop which As everyone and their granny knows has been the stable mate of artists for years, but in terms of my practice it is now crucial if I am going to provide imagery that can be used across all disciplines i.e, traditional books, e-Books , Book Apps, animations and games.
In a way the use of Photoshop has become a tool for putting together the de-constructed image in a range of ways that will suit the environment for which it is needed .I find this a very interesting thought process as these "collages" can almost be infinite and completely flexible in their variety.




Here you can see two images for the game section of the book app Cogito which  are made up of many separate assets such as the girl standing with the case or the fairy on the bird and they have all been cut out and repositioned on the pages using Photoshop and its layer facility.

I really don't feel that such imagery can be created if I had approached them as one flat artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment